As we get ourselves organized and ready for what promises to be yet another busy season in West Cornwall, we’re looking for aspirational people to become part of our foodie family.
We are recruiting for a Head Chef at The Tolcarne Inn to support the Chef Director, who works across our two sites. Experience in managing a team, purchasing, menu writing, health and safety is essential. Our dishes will be inspired by seasonal produce from the producers and suppliers with whom we have worked for many years. Predominantly we make everything from scratch in house; big flavours and relaxed dining are what we are all about.
As passionate hospitality providers, our aim is to put a smile on our guests faces. We can only do that if we have passionate, enthusiastic staff committed to providing the best quality dining experience.
Working in the hospitality industry can be a very rewarding career. As part of the team you will be encouraged to learn and develop your skills.
As Head Chef you will be expected to:
- Lead by example, demonstrating the best level of quality in your work, and commitment to maintaining the high standards set.
- Practice and demonstrate excellent stock control, ensuring minimal wastage and maximum efficiency.
- Work with our Chef Director on menu ideas, keeping the menus fresh and in line with our ethos of seasonal, local and flavourful.
- Ensure health and safety, and food safety standards, are maintained at the highest level at all times.
- Guide junior members of the team to produce their best in a nurturing and encouraging way.
- Ensure good communication with all members of the operation to ensure the best possible guest experience.
If you think this could be you and are interested in becoming part of our team, we’d love to hear from you.
- A salary of £30,000 to £35,000 dependent on experience.
- Good work life balance with 40-45 hour working week.
- Fantastic training opportunities, both in house and externally.
- A share of generous gratuities.
- 50% off food and drink at both our sites.
- Onsite parking.
- Employee of the month rewards.
If you fancy a new challenge this year working within an aspirational team in our beautiful West Cornwall setting, get in touch today. Email or Chef Owner direct on email@example.com to get the ball rolling.
About our two pubs in beautiful West Cornwall:
Our original pub is in Newlyn, The Tolcarne Inn. Here, as you might expect, we focus on the bounty of the sea. Offering the very best of the landings at Newlyn Fish Market or direct from the boats (we are licensed to buy direct from the fishermen themselves) this incredible seafood is paired with the freshest seasonal produce, predominantly direct from local growers. Owner Ben Tunnicliffe has been working closely with local farmers, and benefitting from the amazing produce grown throughout the year, for over 20 years here in West Penwith.
Our second pub joined the fold in 2020 and is a little more inland. The Packet Inn Smokehouse, as the name suggests, is where we cook with smoke over charcoal. Focusing on the same very best quality produce, here again seasonality is the watchword. However, at The Packet the setting lends itself towards a meaty menu and so – as well as fresh seafood and locally-grown fruit and veg – we work with premium meat producers like Primrose Herd and Homage to the Bovine.
Our Chef Director Matt Smith and Chef Owner Ben Tunnicliffe oversee both kitchens to guide the cooking in line with our ethos. Our aim is to provide genuine hospitality in the true sense of the word, in relaxed settings, with the highest standard of food and drink. In short, the kind of places we enjoy eating at ourselves with friends and family.